Skip to main content

GSoC 2018: Week 3

Hello everyone. Here is the update of my work in the third week of GSoC. 

Unlike last week, this week clarified some of the real problems of our implementation of rubi.
I began to freshly test trinomial products after getting the older test-suite. 

Initially, I came across the problem of Coeff and Sum. I solved this by redefining Coeff and introducing a function Sum_doit. After this, I realised With statement was not being parsed correctly for many cases. Parsetools was improved to take care of the with statements.


After this, I encountered with some utility functions where the output was not as expected. This is the major cause of the failing tests. Constraints too are affected by this. I tried to find and solve as much as possible. I have to trace all functions in cases of failing tests and compare the output with Mathematica. I improved few utility functions and updated in the PR. Also, there were some exceptions in Matchpy, where constraints were being checked taking x as a numerical value. It resulted in TypeErrors. So I updated the constraints in such a way that it avoids such exceptions.

After all this and some small changes, I almost have tested half of the trinomial products in the test-suite. Some issues are not solved yet, like : 
  • Sorting of variables.
  • Not implemented error in apart of sympy.
  • And few rules, which are not well defined.


Here is the brief work of this week:
  • Solved the issue of Sum and Coeff.
  • improved parsetools for with statements.
  • little modification to constraints definition.
  • improved utility functions
  • minor changes in parsetools.

I was supposed to completely test trinomial products within this week. I tried hard, but the debugging part is time taking. Finding the real issue for failing test, takes time. Also, it needs to be compared with Mathematica. But the good thing is that, after finding the issue and fixing it, tests are passing. So after this week, I can say that if we are good with our utility functions, we will be able to test more than 90% of the original rubi test suite.

In the upcoming week, I will do more testing and complete trinomial products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GSoC 2018: Proposal Acceptance and Community Bonding Period

Hello, I'm Ashish Kumar Gaurav a undergraduate student at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. My proposal for completing rule based integration(RUBI) in sympy has been accepted as a part of Google Summer of Code.

RUBI consists of about 10,000 rules. Sympy can use these rules rather than various algorithms to perform efficient integration. RUBI had been a GSoC project last year but it could not be completed. I hope that I will be able to bring RUBI in a working state.


Community bonding period is near end and coding period will be starting on 14th May. In this period I have done the following improvements: Fixed a bug in parsetool, which raised exceptions while sympifying the code.Removed repeated definition of same constraints. All constraints are present in a single file constraints.py , in which each constraint is defined uniquely. Earlier same constraints were defined multiple times. An issue had also been created here.Removed dependencies of lambda function from constraints…

GSoC 2018 : Week 1

Hi everyone. Here is the brief summary of my works completed and works which are in progress in the first week.
For proper implementation of RUBI in sympy, we have a high dependence on matchpy. This might limit the performance of RUBI in sympy. I am currently targeting to have a correct set of rules and utility functions. 
This week I opened this PR #14724,  from which progress in my work can be tracked. While testing the code, sometimes there were recursion errors because the same set of rule continuously were applied to the expression and there was no simplification. This worked in Mathematica because a order of matching(specificity order) is maintained in Mathematica. We use downvalues to parse the code in matchpy format. So we know the order. I found a way to fix the order in matchpy. I used ManyToOneMatcher to find all rules being matched to an expression. Then pickup the most prior rule and then perform replacement. It is little slow but we can debug our rules (parsetools) and uti…

GSoC 2018: Week 8

Hello everyone. Here is the brief summary of the progress of rubi integration module in the 8th week of GSoC period.

We completed the testing of logarithmic test cases. Some of the tests are failing as they depend on trigonometric rules. The rules and tests have been updated in this PR.

Next, I loaded all trigonometric rules. They are huge in number. So the loading time increased from 1 min 30 sec to around 6 min. For now, I have not loaded them. I also updated the test cases for parsetools and fixed code quality issues. Currently, the travis is failing due to a bug, which has been fixed in branch 1.2. In the upcoming week, 1.2 probably will get merged in master.

Then I moved on to implementing appellf1 in sympy. Progress can be seen in this PR.

We will be updating our utility_functions to the latest version of RUBI.