Skip to main content

GSoC 2018: Week 2

Hello everyone. Here is the brief work done and progress in my project (Rubi) in the second week.

This week was quite frustrating for me. I gave a lot of time but the outcome was little less. Initially my aim was to solve the problem of the order in which rule was matched. But I have to revert back to my initial structure as the new structure was extremely time consuming. Next I thought to keep track of the rules applied to an expression. This could be a great help in debugging too. So I implemented it.

Next I moved on to testing trinomial_products . But here also results were not good. Our rules are of older version (4.10.8) , but we did not have the test-suite of that version. So I tried extremely hard to test those tests with rubi 4.10.8 . For 3 - 4 days , I put a great effort. At last I realised, things will not work this way. So, I then mailed to Albert, the maintainer of original Rubi, asking him for the test-suite of older version. And the good part is that he has provided me the test-suite today. So now I will move to test our rubi with this test-suite.

In between all this, I found some errors in utility function . I corrected them and updated the PR.
Here are the works done by me this week :

  • Made necessary changes in the parsetools and rubi , so that it keeps track of the rules applied to an expression.
  • test_1_2 of algebraic rules completely passes without any failure. (Removed all @XFAIL from test_1_2 )
  • Corrected AppellF1, NegQ, PositiveQ, BinomialMatchQ, TrinomialMatchQ in the utility functions.
For the upcoming week I plan to make test suits of trinomial and miscellaneous algebra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GSoC 2018: Proposal Acceptance and Community Bonding Period

Hello, I'm Ashish Kumar Gaurav a undergraduate student at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. My proposal for completing rule based integration(RUBI) in sympy has been accepted as a part of Google Summer of Code.

RUBI consists of about 10,000 rules. Sympy can use these rules rather than various algorithms to perform efficient integration. RUBI had been a GSoC project last year but it could not be completed. I hope that I will be able to bring RUBI in a working state.


Community bonding period is near end and coding period will be starting on 14th May. In this period I have done the following improvements: Fixed a bug in parsetool, which raised exceptions while sympifying the code.Removed repeated definition of same constraints. All constraints are present in a single file constraints.py , in which each constraint is defined uniquely. Earlier same constraints were defined multiple times. An issue had also been created here.Removed dependencies of lambda function from constraints…

GSoC 2018 : Week 1

Hi everyone. Here is the brief summary of my works completed and works which are in progress in the first week.
For proper implementation of RUBI in sympy, we have a high dependence on matchpy. This might limit the performance of RUBI in sympy. I am currently targeting to have a correct set of rules and utility functions. 
This week I opened this PR #14724,  from which progress in my work can be tracked. While testing the code, sometimes there were recursion errors because the same set of rule continuously were applied to the expression and there was no simplification. This worked in Mathematica because a order of matching(specificity order) is maintained in Mathematica. We use downvalues to parse the code in matchpy format. So we know the order. I found a way to fix the order in matchpy. I used ManyToOneMatcher to find all rules being matched to an expression. Then pickup the most prior rule and then perform replacement. It is little slow but we can debug our rules (parsetools) and uti…

GSoC 2018: Week 8

Hello everyone. Here is the brief summary of the progress of rubi integration module in the 8th week of GSoC period.

We completed the testing of logarithmic test cases. Some of the tests are failing as they depend on trigonometric rules. The rules and tests have been updated in this PR.

Next, I loaded all trigonometric rules. They are huge in number. So the loading time increased from 1 min 30 sec to around 6 min. For now, I have not loaded them. I also updated the test cases for parsetools and fixed code quality issues. Currently, the travis is failing due to a bug, which has been fixed in branch 1.2. In the upcoming week, 1.2 probably will get merged in master.

Then I moved on to implementing appellf1 in sympy. Progress can be seen in this PR.

We will be updating our utility_functions to the latest version of RUBI.