Skip to main content

GSoC 2018 : Week 1

Hi everyone. Here is the brief summary of my works completed and works which are in progress in the first week.

For proper implementation of RUBI in sympy, we have a high dependence on matchpy. This might limit the performance of RUBI in sympy. I am currently targeting to have a correct set of rules and utility functions. 

This week I opened this PR #14724,  from which progress in my work can be tracked. While testing the code, sometimes there were recursion errors because the same set of rule continuously were applied to the expression and there was no simplification. This worked in Mathematica because a order of matching(specificity order) is maintained in Mathematica. We use downvalues to parse the code in matchpy format. So we know the order. I found a way to fix the order in matchpy. I used ManyToOneMatcher to find all rules being matched to an expression. Then pickup the most prior rule and then perform replacement. It is little slow but we can debug our rules (parsetools) and utility functions.

In this week I have done the following improvements:

  • Replaced lambdas with proper functions in replacement rule.
  • Implemented a new structure of rule matching
  • Partially loaded integrand_simplification
  • Fixed few minor issues in parsetools and utility_functions
Next, I am targeting to completely load integrand_simplification and perform complete testing of algebraic rules.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GSoC 2018: Week 9

Hello everyone. Here is the progress of rubi module in the 9th week of GSoC period.
In the very beginning of the week, the PR for appelf1 was merged. My aim for this week was to load all rules and test at least a small part for each type of rule. Due to the time factor, its not possible to test all. Moreover, rubi needs to be updated to the latest version, so the test suite too will be updated.  
I started with trigo rules. They are huge in number. They were never tested before, so some utility_functions like `TrigReduce`, `KnownTrigIntegrandQ`, `FunctionOfTrig` etc were wrong. They were corrected. Soon I realised a difference between sympy and Mathematica. In mathematica, `1/Cot[x]` is automatically transformed to `Tan[x]` and `1/Tan[x]` too was transformed to `Cot[x]`. But in sympy, these are different. So, `tan(x)` didn't match to `cot(x)` . Francesco suggested to replace all `cot` with `1/tan`  and similarly for `sec` and `csc` (in the code generator too). 
Next, I moved to `i…

GSoC 2018: Week 10

Hello everyone. Here is the brief progress of Rubi module in the 10th week of GSoC period.
Last week, we were able to load all rules. Rubi has now come in a very stable and working condition. One Missing thing in the main PR was missing instructions and documentation. This week I tried my best to write instructions, so that a new user can easily get familiar with it. I have kept it really simple.
Initially, I wrote a script in Mathematica to generate downvalues in separate files. This was done till now manually, but now it's automated. Then I wrote a sympy script to generate all rules and constraints in proper files directly just by running a function. For a more easier understanding of steps, I created `rubi_parsing_guide.md` explaining all steps.
Next thing I realised that it would be good if we create a parsing script for the tests too. Till now I used maple format. But a lot of manual things were required. So I wrote a script which directly parses tests into sympy format. All this…

GSoC 2018: Week 8

Hello everyone. Here is the brief summary of the progress of rubi integration module in the 8th week of GSoC period.

We completed the testing of logarithmic test cases. Some of the tests are failing as they depend on trigonometric rules. The rules and tests have been updated in this PR.

Next, I loaded all trigonometric rules. They are huge in number. So the loading time increased from 1 min 30 sec to around 6 min. For now, I have not loaded them. I also updated the test cases for parsetools and fixed code quality issues. Currently, the travis is failing due to a bug, which has been fixed in branch 1.2. In the upcoming week, 1.2 probably will get merged in master.

Then I moved on to implementing appellf1 in sympy. Progress can be seen in this PR.

We will be updating our utility_functions to the latest version of RUBI.